Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The Big 2-0

I have had a busy running weekend. On Friday, after a surprising (and welcome) early start to my holiday weekend, I sneaked in an unplanned 10 mile run. It was a great day to be out on the trails. What makes a run like that so great is that with every step I can think, "Normally I would still be at work right now." It was kind of like playing hooky, but for grown ups.

Saturday morning brought with it the Snug Harbor Kick-off to Summer 5K. It is a small race but a lot of fun. On a hilly course I ran a 20:59, which was good enough for 4th in my age-group and 31st over-all. Not bad considering that I haven't been training at all for speed, but focusing on my endurance. Rest on Sunday and 20 miles on Memorial Day.

20 miles is a big deal. I took it easy, included walk breaks, and brought along water and a couple of granola bars. I could have used more water because it was all gone before I was all done. The whole thing took me 3hr 12min. I ran most of it on paved surfaces and my knees and legs are feeling it today. Nothing I won't recover from in a day or two, but I have been spoiled by the soft cushioning of pine-needles over sand. I'm moving slowly today, but not so much that people notice.

Also, I finally ordered my fanny-pack. I'm excited to try it out. Right now my Camelbak does not carry much and it is accessible only if I stop running and take it off. The "runner's waist pack" (sounds much cooler) will allow me to carry a few more things and get to them without stopping for long. Plus, I'll be able to carry the camera to get a few photos! I bought it through Amazon.com and to qualify for free super-saver shipping I also bought some Bodyglide. I have never used Bodyglide but am excited to try it out.

Dad and I are planning on doing a long run together on Sunday. Finally, someone to run my beautiful trails with!

2 comments:

  1. I consider myself a low-tech, low-commitment runner, but I won't go out without my Bodyglide! Hope you enjoy it, too. BTW, way impressed with your running!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe it or not, I am looking forward to a 20+ mile run. Hitting the trails, finally!

    ReplyDelete