Monday, June 7, 2010

Dad and Me make 18.5 (miles)

Yesterday (Sunday), my Dad and Mom came out to Grand Haven, my mom to spend some time with the grandkids, and my Dad to join me for a long run on the trails, and then to spend some time with the kids.

We headed out for the first of our two 10(ish) mile loops. The day had started out cloudy and threatening, but by the late afternoon, the sun had reversed our fortunes. When we hit the trailhead it was sunny but still cool, the ideal running conditions. It was good for us to practice running together because we plan on running most of the race together. We talked about race strategy, shoes, terrain, as well as what we would do if "one of us" needed to drop out and if I would keep going after that happened.

I don't usually run with anyone and I like it this way. I use running as a way to get away from it all. To unplug, to disconnect, to go wireless, to opt-out, to center my thoughts, to flee the noise, to run down the demons, to silence the voices, to find myself, to seek after the divine.

But when I do run with someone, it is usually my Dad. These days, because we live in different cities our runs are not casual. We get together because we are training for some race. And there is nothing wrong with this. I'm glad that we're able to do this. The fact is, that my Dad is a big reason that I run. He is not the only reason, but he helped lay the foundation. He has been a runner longer than I can remember. Long before I existed, he ran. I don't know if I started running as a psychology attempt to bond with him, or if he passed on a genetic disposition, and I don't really care. It doesn't matter. What matters is that he gave me a gift: a love of running.

At some point I made running my own. I took what he gave me and changed it, made it my own, incorporated into who I am. And as a result, my Dad and I run, and see running differently. He runs with people. I run alone. He loves the details. I love the mood. He can't stop thinking about his finishing time. I'm happy to finish.

And even though I'm (finally) starting to beat him, and will in all likelihood beat him in this 50K (sorry Dad, couldn't help myself), the real goal of my running life will be to run (and live) in such a way that shows people that my life includes some things that are extravagant to the point of senselessness. Not in terms of money, but because they challenge me to live simultaneously with abandon and focus. Then to be able to encourage my children to do what they love in the way that my Dad has encouraged me to do what I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment